Norms and Nobility: A Treatise on Education
A reissue of a classic text, Norms and Nobility is a provocative reappraisal of classical education that offers a workable program for contemporary school reform. David Hicks contends that the classical tradition promotes a spirit of inquiry that is concerned with the development of style and conscience, which makes it an effective and meaningful form of education. Dismissing notions that classical education is elitist and irrelevant, Hicks argues that the classical tradition can meet the needs of our increasingly technological society as well as serve as a feasible model for mass education.
About the Book
As mentioned in
- Episode #10 – Which Comes First? The Principles or the Practical?
- Episode #13 – Learning Styles Are Bunk
- Episode #15 – A Classical Gratitude List
- Episode #19 – Effortlessness & Hard Work
- Episode #27 – Education Is a Discipline
- Episode #29 – Educating for Virtue (I’m Not the Holy Spirit)
- Episode #32 – Paideia Is All Greek to Me
- Episode #33 – Narration Is Knowing
- Episode #36 – Is Scholé for Everyone?
- Episode #42 – Carpe Librum
- Episode #47 – Rightly Dividing
- Episode #48 – Someone Stole My Socrates
- Episode #50 – A Little Less Talk and a Lot More Action
- Episode #54 – Gainsaying Sayers
- Episode #58 – Scholé Is Diffuse
- Episode #59 – Scholé Group Therapy
- Episode #63 – Who’s Your Daddy?
- Episode #66 – Faculty of Friends
- Episode #69 – Socratic Trialogue (with Renee Shepard!)
- Episode #70 – Arguing about Words
- Episode #73 – A Scholé for All Seasons
- Episode #91 – In Loving Memory
- Episode #103 – Can we be more human?
- Episode #111 – What is education?
- Episode #112 – What is an educated person?
- Episode #113 – The Ideal Type
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the page above are "affiliate links." This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."