SS #19: The Intersection of Effortlessness and Hard Work (with Dr. Christopher Perrin!)
Our guest on today’s show is none other than Dr. Christopher Perrin from Classical Academic Press! Dr. Perrin is an author, consultant and speaker, who specializes in classical education. He is committed to the national renewal of the liberal arts tradition. Dr. Perrin serves as a consultant to charter, public, private, and Christian schools across the country and he has published numerous articles and lectures that are widely used throughout the United States and the English-speaking world.
In today’s episode, Mystie and Brandy ask Dr. Perrin to help us balance a tension that we all feel in our homeschools. If we expect scholé to be restful — even effortless — how do we develop virtues like diligence and perseverance? If you want to go deep with the concept of scholé, this conversation is for you!
Thank you to our sponsor:
This episode is sponsored by the Newbie Tuesday 2-volume set. Newbie Tuesday volumes contain the archives of the popular Newbie Tuesday monthly newsletter containing boatloads of Charlotte Mason inspiration. Covering a wide variety of topics, the Newbie Tuesday 2-volume set clocks in at 159 pages!
Get your copy today!
Listen to the podcast:
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
- Scholé RDA
- Dr. Perrin:
- Confessions by St. Augustine
- Norms and Nobility by David Hicks
- AmblesideOnline Forum
- The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky
- Leisure the Basis of Culture by Josef Pieper
- Click here for a photo of Josef Pieper
- Dr. Perrin:
- Topical Discussion: The Intersection of Effortlessness and Hard Work
- Only the Lover Sings: Art and Contemplation by Josef Pieper
- Josh Gibbs
- The Consolation of Philosophy by Boethius
- Why Slow Reading Matters More Than You’d Expect
- The Plutarch Primer by Anne White
- The Divine Hours by Phyllis Tickle
- Ante Studium prayer by Thomas Aquinas
Please leave us a review in iTunes!
If you don’t know how to do that, click here for illustrated instructions.
Want to ask an upcoming Nitty Gritty Homeschool Question?
We now have two options! Go fill out this handy little form OR leave a voicemail and your question might be featured on a future episode of the show!