Leisure: The Basis of Culture
One of the most important philosophy titles published in the twentieth century, Josef Pieper's Leisure, the Basis of Culture is more significant, even more crucial, today than it was when it first appeared more than fifty years ago. This edition also includes his work The Philosophical Act. Leisure is an attitude of the mind and a condition of the soul that fosters a capacity to perceive the reality of the world. Pieper shows that the Greeks and medieval Europeans, understood the great value and importance of leisure. He also points out that religion can be born only in leisure -- a leisure that allows time for the contemplation of the nature of God. Leisure has been, and always will be, the first foundation of any culture. Pieper maintains that our bourgeois world of total labor has vanquished leisure, and issues a startling warning: Unless we regain the art of silence and insight, the ability for non-activity, unless we substitute true leisure for our hectic amusements, we will destroy our culture -- and ourselves.
- Episode #4 – We Dare You to Read the Classics
- Episode #5 – Balancing Work and Wonder (with Ravi Jain) – Ravi Jain’s Scholé RDA (aka Scholé Everyday)
- Episode #9 – Finding the Right Scholé for Your Type
- Episode #10 – Which Comes First? The Principles or the Practical? during the Scholé RDA (aka Scholé Everyday) segment
- Episode #16 – Don’t Be The White Witch
- Episode #19: The Intersection of Effortlessness and Hard Work (with Dr. Christopher Perrin!) as Brandy Vencel’s Scholé Everyday pick
- Episode #21 – Amusing Ourselves to Leisure
- Episode #30 – Putting the Merry Back in Christmas
- Episode #40 – Moms Learn and Grow! (Part II with Cindy Rollins!)
- Episode #41 – Living Books Are Books For Life by Mystie during the Scholé Everyday segment
- Episode #45 – Need Scholé? Just Add Joy!
- Episode #58 – Scholé is Diffuse
- Episode #61 – Have Your Humble Pie … And Eat It, Too! by Mystie during the Scholé Everyday segment
- Episode #63 – Who’s Your Daddy?
- Episode #73 – A Scholé for All Seasons by Pam in the Scholé Everyday segment and also during the topical discussion
- Episode #85 – More than restful learning – as a definition work on scholé during our topical discussion