SS #75: Love Chat, Baby, Love Chat (with Karen Glass!)
Our special guest today is one of our favorite people, Karen Glass! Karen Glass has been homeschooling her children for 25 years, and she’s not quite finished yet. She is one of the founders of the AmblesideOnline curriculum project and has delved deeply into Charlotte Mason’s philosophy of education. She has lived in Poland, where her husband ministers, for over twenty years. In the last few years, she has begun writing books to share some of the things she has learned along the way.
Today’s episode covers more about the fall retreat. In the first part we formulate our response to the extrovert revolt that took place after Episode 74. After that, we discuss the Loving Well theme and how each of us (including Karen, who is this year’s guest speaker) plan to approach it in our talks.
Registration is now open!
Our annual fall online local retreats are something we forward to every year, and this year is no exception. Click here for early-bird registration. If you want to host a local retreat event, we are still doing this (in states where it is legal). Just click here and fill out the form and we’ll help you pull it off.
Listen to the podcast:
- Spring Training 2020: The Prerequisites of Real Conversation with Steven Rummelsburg
- Online Annual Retreat 2020 Loving Well: Talk #1
Love Conquers All: Doing the hard work of educating and mothering (Brandy Vencel)
- Faith, Hope, Love by Josef Pieper
- Online Annual Retreat 2020 Loving Well: Talk #2
Ladders of Love: Education is the science of relations (Karen Glass)
- On Christian Teaching by St. Augustine, translated by R.P.H. Green
- Gorgias by Plato, translated by Robin Waterfield
- Amy Sloan: Humility and Doxology
- Online Annual Retreat 2020 Loving Well: Talk #3
A Lens of Love on Reading Widely (Mystie Winckler)
- A Theology of Teaching: The Hermeneutics of Love by Alan Jacobs
- On the Road with Saint Augustine: A Real-World Spirituality for Restless Hearts by James K.A. Smith
- Online Annual Retreat 2020 Loving Well: Talk #4
The Greatest of These: Love lessons for our homeschool days (Pam Barnhill)
- Missy Andrews: The Center for Lit
- Online Annual Retreat 2020 Loving Well: Talk #5
A Thinking Love (Abby Wahl)
- Karen tells Abby that Charlotte Mason was quoting Pestalozzi. You can find what Abby is referring to in Home Education (Volume 1 of the Home Education Series) on page 2 under the subheading “Some Preliminary Considerations.”