SS #71: Homeschoolers Militant (with Andrew Pudewa!!)
Today’s episode was recorded BEFORE the demise of 2020, before quaratines, lockdowns, and economic tragedies. We cut a couple things that no longer made sense, but the rest of it survives as useful and oh so encouraging.
Our special guest today is Andrew Pudewa, the founder and director of the Institute for Excellence in Writing and a father of seven. Traveling and speaking around the world, he addresses issues related to teaching, writing, thinking, spelling, and music with clarity, insight, practical experience, and humor. His seminars for parents, students, and teachers have helped transform many a reluctant writer and have equipped educators with powerful tools to dramatically improve students’ skills.
Although he is a graduate of the Talent Education Institute in Japan and holds a Certificate of Child Brain Development from the Institutes for the Achievement of Human Potential in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, his best endorsement is from a young Alaskan boy who called him “the funny man with the wonderful words.” He and his wonderful, heroic wife, Robin, have homeschooled their seven children and are now proud grandparents of fourteen, making their home in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
Andrew Pudewa helps us be brave and not hide our homeschooling light under a bucket. He says we should be practicing homeschool evangelism. And when he said this, NO ONE KNEW the entire country would be doing school at home by the time this went live. What Andrew says here is even more applicable than when he first said it.
Don’t forget to register for Spring Training 2020!
Did you know? If you sign up for a Sophie level Sistership membership (or already have one) Spring Training is included, along with all the other great things (I’m looking at YOU, Kelly Cumbee’s amazing Shakespeare mentorship)? If you aren’t a Sophie, click here to go sign up. If you already are a Sophie, we highly encourage you to go through the Spring Training 2019 sessions if you haven’t already as a way to prepare for this year’s Spring Training.
Download Your Scholé Sheet:
Listen to the podcast:
- Dumbing Us Down: The Hidden Curriculum of Compulsory Schooling by John Taylor Gatto
- The Underground History of American Education by John Taylor Gatto
- Weapons of Mass Instruction by John Taylor Gatto
- Hannah Coulter by Wendell Berry
- One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Isaevich Solzhenitsyn and Mr. H.T. Willetts
- The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
- Frederick Douglass by David W. Blight
- What to the Slave is the Fourth of July? Speech by Frederick Douglass
- Paideia Northwest Conference
- H.S.L.D.A. = Home School Legal Defense Association
- The History of the Homeschooling Movement with Steve Demme (The Homeschool Solution Show, podcast #177)
- The Well-Read Mom