SS #67: Death by Sticker Chart (with Karen Glass!)
Our special guest today is one of our favorite people, Karen Glass! Karen Glass has been homeschooling her children for 25 years, and she’s not quite finished yet. She is one of the founders of the AmblesideOnline curriculum project and has delved deeply into Charlotte Mason’s philosophy of education. She has lived in Poland, where her husband ministers, for over twenty years. In the last few years, she has begun writing books to share some of the things she has learned along the way.
Today, Abby and Brandy chat with Karen about motivation. Are there right and wrong ways to motivate students? What does motivation have to do with good character? And can sticker charts really be the death of virtue?? So many questions and a great conversation!
Join the Sistership!
We cut about five minutes from this episode and it’s available (with our many other bonuses) in the Cutting Room Floor Bonus section on the Sistership. To listen in, just click here and sign up for the Basic membership! You’ll help support the podcast and get fun and interesting bonus audio all at once!
Download Your Scholé Sheet:
Listen to the podcast:
- The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
- The Abolition of Man by C.S. Lewis
- That Hideous Strength (Space Trilogy, book 3) by C.S. Lewis
- Perelandra (Space Trilogy, book 2) by C.S. Lewis
- Out of the Silent Planet (Space Trilogy, book 1) by C.S. Lewis
- In Vital Harmony by Karen Glass
- Mansfield Park by Jane Austen
- Emma by Jane Austen
- Thoughts on Education by Mandell Creighton
- Formation of Character (Volume 5 in the Home Education Series) by Charlotte Mason
- Who was Charlotte Mason?
- Charlotte Mason’s 20 Principles
- P.N.E.U. = Parents’ National Education Union
- AO = AmblesideOnline (specifically exams)
- Home Education (Volume 1 in the Home Education Series) by Charlotte Mason