SS #10: Which Comes First? The Principles or the Practical?
Today’s show is our version of the which-came-first-the-chicken-or-the-egg dilemma. In this case, though, it’s which comes first – the principles or the practices. And how do we practice when we know that we don’t know all we NEED to know? We go around and around in circles, drawing on folks like James K.A. Smith, Cindy Rollins, Karen, Glass, and MORE. In the end, we made our peace with the issue, and we hope you can, too.
Thank you to our sponsor:
This episode is sponsored by Newbie Tuesday, the monthly newsletter for Charlotte Mason enthusiasts. Written with beginners in mind, Newbie Tuesday is deep enough to refresh experienced Charlotte Mason educators as well. Each issue is devoted to a single topic — some part of Charlotte Mason’s philosophy. There’s a letter from the editor, an article introducing the philosophical underpinnings, another article on the practical applications, and then yet another article on transitioning older students to the concept or practice. It’s also packed with a bunch of resources for further reading around the web, in books, as well as practical tools for implementation. Best of all … it’s free! So head on over to Newbie Tuesday and subscribe!
Listen to the podcast:
Podcast: Play in new window | Download
- Scholé RDA
- Crazy Busy by Kevin DeYoung
- Leisure: The Basis of Culture by Josef Pieper (also mentioned)
- Topical Discussion: Which Comes First? The Principles or the Practical?
- Dr. Perrin
- Martin Cothran
- Jennifer Dow
- Norms and Nobility by David Hicks
- Cindy’s new book
- Desiring the Kingdom by James K.A. Smith
- The Plutarch Primer by Anne White
- Pam’s interview with Sonya Shafer
- Consider This by Karen Glass
- Nitty Gritty Homeschool Question
- History of the English Speaking Peoples by Winston Churchill
- Commonplace guest post on Mystie’s blog
Please leave us a review in iTunes!
If you don’t know how to do that, click here for illustrated instructions.
Want to ask an upcoming Nitty Gritty Homeschool Question?
Go fill out this handy little form OR record yourself right on our site, and your question might be featured on a future episode of the show!