The definitive translation of Plato's Republic, the most influential text in the history of Western philosophy
Long regarded as the most accurate rendering of Plato's Republic that has yet been published, this widely acclaimed translation by Allan Bloom was the first to take a strictly literal approach. In addition to the annotated text, there is also a rich and valuable essay -- as well as indices -- which will enable readers to better understand the heart of Plato's intention.
- Episode #86 – Classical Education in Africa – by Karen Elliott as an example of a classical work where the truth is being sincerely sought
- Episode #92 – Mother Knows Best (Censorship) – as both Mystie’s Scholé Everyday pick and the basis for the topical discussion
- Episode #97 – Men without Chests
- Episode #104 – Political Rehab – because you can’t talk about just societies without it
- Episode #121 – Barefoot in the Kitchen with the Ideal Type (with David Hicks!!)