Today, we kick off a series of three episodes that were recorded live online with some of our Forum members. This series is organized around Charlotte Mason’s motto that education is an atmosphere, a discipline, and a life. Today’s episode is all about atmosphere.
BONUS: Scroll down to the bottom of these show notes to get a downloadable Atmosphere Audit to help you put these ideas into action in your homeschool.
Thank you to our sponsor:
This episode is sponsored by The Art of Homeschooling. It’s the truth: The perfect plan will never be perfectly executed. Homeschool days will go horribly wrong. Our energy will fizzle out and our attention will wane. Our kids dawdle, complain, and bicker. It happens. To work our plan isn’t to fix ourselves, our home, or our children so that such things never happen. No, to work our plan is to have strategies for handling life even when it goes off the rails, because that’s when important lessons are learned by all. Click here and find the box to download the free motivation prep sheet at the bottom of the page that will help you discipline & organize your homeschool morning attitude, even when it’s been two hours since your last cup of coffee.
Listen to the podcast:
- Scholé RDA
- Queen Eleanor: Independent Spirit of the Medieval World by Polly Schoyer Brooks
- My Antonia by Willa Cather
- Topical Discussion: EDUCATION IS AN ATMOSPHERE
- Who was Matthew Arnold?
- “And, ye fathers, provoke not your children to wrath: but bring them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord.” — Ephesians 6:4
- Home Education by Charlotte Mason
- The Great Tradition by Richard Gamble
- Who is Jennifer Mackintosh?
- Desiring the Kingdom by James K.A. Smith
- You Are What You Love by James K.A. Smith (also mentioned)
- AmblesideOnline Year 1
- Fifty Famous Stories Retold by James Baldwin
- Saint George and the Dragon by Margaret Hodges
- Dick Whittington and His Cat by Margaret Hodges
- original article on mother culture
- Stop Cleaning the Kitchen and Read a Book by Susan Wise Bauer
- Your Morning Basket (preface mentioned)
- Mother’s Morning Basket podcast episode with Jennifer Mackintosh
- How the fear of dying taught me how to live. by Heather Anne Naples
- Which Dog Are You Going To Feed?