SS #65: Falling in Love with Shakespeare (with Kelly Cumbee!)
Our guest on the show today is Kelly Cumbee. Brandy and Mystie have known Kelly for over a decade because she was a participant in the old online book clubs led by Cindy Rollins. Brandy is very excited to introduce you to her.
For over twenty-five years Kelly Cumbee has been educating her seven children at home, where she mostly sits in her rocking chair and reads aloud to them what she herself wants to learn. She has always loved music, nature, and stories, and passionately believes that they are all connected. She is prone to info-dumping and telling everyone to read The Faerie Queene.
We love today’s episode because it’s one-part interview, one-part hearing about Kelly’s plans for our upcoming Shakespeare mentorship, and one-part interesting background information on not just Shakespeare, but also Jane Austen! Altogether, it’s a recipe for a fabulous episode you won’t want to miss.
Have you joined Sistership Premier yet?
Kelly will be leading the Shakespeare mentorship in Sistership Premier that starts NEXT WEEK — if you’re listening to this a little later, it’s starts the week of February 10th 2020. The more she tells me about her plans for this, the more enthusiastic I become! The Shakespeare mentorship is only for Sistership Premier members, so click here to join.
Engage with the episode:
Listen to the podcast:
- Shakespeare for Every Day of the Year by Allie Esiri
- Sounding the Seasons: Seventy Sonnets for the Christian Year by Malcolm Guite
- The Nine Tailors by Dorothy L. Sayers
- Ring Out, Wild Bells by Alfred Tennyson
- Modern Times: The World from the Twenties to the Nineties by Paul Johnson
- Mein Kampf by Adolf Hilter
- A History of the American People by Paul Johnson
- Jesus: A Biography from a Believer by Paul Johnson
- Home Grown Kids by Raymond and Dorothy Moore
- Who was Charlotte Mason?
- Angelina Stanford’s Online Classes
- The Republic of Plato by Plato
- What is Zoom?
- The Faerie Queene by Edmund Spenser
- 1979 Book of Common Prayer (the Episcopal Church Prayer Book)
- Mother Goose
- Stories of the Pilgrims by Margaret Pumphrey
- Inside The Sistership (bonus for Premier Members) Shakespeare: As You Like It
- An Experiment in Criticism by C. S. Lewis
- The Elizabethan World Picture by E. M. W. Tillyard
- Pride And Prejudice: Complete BBC Series
- The Complete Novels of Jane Austen by Jane Austen (including Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility)
- What Jane Austen Ate and Charles Dickens Knew by Daniel Pool
- The Liberal Arts Traditon (revised edition) by Kevin Clark and Ravi Scott Jain